Our Troops, Our Families
The City of Boise recently renewed its support of the community’s military families through its 'Our Troops, Our Families' initiative. The program was recently reactivated with news of the six-month deployment of the Idaho Air National Guard’s 124th Fighter Wing to the Middle East, provides.
The program, reactivated with news of the six-month deployment of the Idaho Air National Guard’s 124th Fighter Wing to the Middle East, provides military families with a variety of free family recreational activities at city venues, like swimming pools, Zoo Boise, Idaho Ice World, fire stations and city community centers.
More than 500 members of the 124th Fighter Wing were deployed last month as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the U.S.-led effort to eliminate ISIS and the threat the terrorist group poses to Iraq, Syria, and the wider international community.
Opportunities for military families include:
- Family Fire Station Saturday (May 14, 1-5 p.m.) - Families are invited to be special guests at Boise Fire Department Station 15 (3676 E. Warm Springs Ave.) and Station 14 (2515 S. Five Mile Road)
- Computer Saturday (May 21) – Families can make reservations to bring their computer to experts from the City of Boise’s Information Technology Department for trouble-shooting and repairs. Please call (208) 384-3767 for an appointment
- Third Thursday Family Pool Parties (every third Thursday in June, July and August) – Families are invited to Borah, Fairmont and Ivywild pools for free swimming.
- Borah, July 16, 2016: Shelter 6-10 p.m. | Pool open swim 7-10 p.m. | Private swim 9-10 p.m.
- Fairmont, July 21, 2016: Pool open swim 7-9 p.m. | Private swim 9-10 p.m.
- Ivywild, August 18, 2016: Shelter 6-10 p.m. | Pool open swim 7-9 p.m. | Private swim 9-10 p.m
- Idaho Ice World (June 18 and Aug. 13, 6-10 p.m.; 7072 S. Eisenman Road) – Family hours are from 6-9 p.m., while youth-drop off is from 6-10 p.m. A dinner reception will be held from 6-7 p.m. and military families will have exclusive use of the rink from 7-9 p.m.
- Parents’ Night Out (July 9, 6-10 p.m.) – Parents can drop off their third- to eighth-graders for an evening of supervised activities at the Fort Boise Community Center (700 N. Robbins Road) Dinner, activities, a movie on a big screen and art activities will keep the children busy while parents enjoy an evening break.
- Parents’ Day Out (July 26, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.) – Art camp (8 a.m.-noon), lunch and other activities await third- to eight-graders at Morley Nelson Community Center (7701 W. Northview Street).
- Zoo Boise Day (July 23, 5:30-8:30 p.m.) - Free admission to all military members, their families, veterans and retirees with a valid military identification or other proof of service.
The City of Boise is also looking to partner with local restaurants or catering companies to provide food for military families at these events. To learn more or offer support, please contact Diana Lachiondo, Director of Community Partnerships at firstname.lastname@example.org or (208) 384-4406.